2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Heavier Than C6
Despite early reports that the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray would be lighter than the outgoing C6 Corvette, it actually appears that its estimated curb weight has gone up. Chevrolet tells us that, according to an early estimate, the new Corvette Stingray weighs about 90 pounds more than the old model.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s new aluminum frame is 99 pounds lighter than the outgoing Corvette. The Corvette team also shed weight with its body panels (37 pounds lighter than before) and its rear hatch and suspension control arms, which are “several” pounds lighter. Total weight savings of those parts compared to the outgoing C6 is estimated to be around 150 pounds.
Enthusiasts might look at any weight increase with scorn, but it seems each of the 90 pounds of extra weight go toward something that makes the Corvette Stingray better than its predecessor. According to GM Authority, here’s where the extra (estimated) pounds went:
- Direct injection, variable valve timing, and Active Fuel Management (AFM) for the new LT1 V-8: 35.2 lbs.
- New infotainment system and cabin tech: 31.5 lbs.
- New structural safety requirements: 18.5 pounds
- Reinforced differential and half shafts: 18.5 pounds
- Bigger brakes: 18.3 pounds
- New seats: 17.2 pounds
- Interior trim and safety features: 17.0 pounds
- Steel torque tubes for AFM: 15.4 pounds
- New clutch: 13.2 pounds
- Seventh transmission gear: 11 pounds
- AFM exhaust valves: 5.5 pounds
- Larger fuel tank: 3.0 pounds.
Weight might be up marginally in the 2014 Corvette Stingray but it’s worth noting its new LT1 6.2-liter V-8 is estimated to make 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque, a 20 hp and 26 lb-ft of torque increase over the previous Corvette – meaning performance will likely improve.
For those who still can’t get past the weight gain, Chevy still might have a Corvette for them: the new Stingray is rumored to be getting a new low-cost Corvette spin-off soon, powered by an all-aluminum 5.3-liter V-8.
Source: Chevrolet via GMAuthority.com